5 Ways to Keep Summer Fun Going in KC
It's almost back to school time and you may be feeling a little bummed that summer is coming to an end. Turn that frown upside down because we have some awesome ideas for you as fall slowly approaches! These activities stretch across our beloved hometown and are sure to make you smile while the sun is still shining strong and the summer vibes are still hot.
- Grab food to go from your favorite Country Club Plaza restaurant, pack a picnic blanket, and head to The Nelson Atkins Museum of Art lawn! The shuttlecocks and historic building provide a gorgeous backdrop for a relaxation and inspiration. Don't forget to also reserve a tee time at the adorable 9-hole Art Course where you don't have to be Tiger Woods to look like a winner.
- Pack your swimsuit and cooler and head to Lake Olathe! They have a fabulous play area for kids to explore and a little beach with a floating obstacle course. Visitors can also rent canoes, kayaks, paddle boards and pedal boats at the Marina. We love the food truck here and how you can joyfully linger for hours.
- Lawrence is only a short drive from Kansas City and we can't get enough of Mass Street's brunchy and boozy spots. Milton's is a sure favorite as well as Wheatfield's, Free State Brewing Co. and Lady Bird Diner. After exploring the main drag, grab an iced coffee and head up the hill to KU's campus where gorgeous buildings and rolling hill views await.
- Sign up for a real adventure with Urban Hikes KC! They'll guide you throughout super cool spots throughout The Crossroads where you'll not only get some exercise but learn so much about our awesome town. Then head over to Clay and Fire for dinner in the West Side, explore the West Bottoms boutiques and/or head to the River Market for a stroll. Downtown is always filled with unexpected twists and turns!
- Take a long walk through the Overland Park Arboretum, the Parkville Sanctuary or Powell Gardens if you love the outdoors and want to take in all of the beautiful flowers that have survived the summer heat. All three are incredibly serene and happily remind you that summer is still here for a few more weeks!
What are missing?! Tell us in the comments below!